[RC] tail wringing vs swishing - Jennifer Adam

I'm no dressage expert so I figured I should sit back and keep my fingers off the keys - but I just have to add something! A horse's tail does not naturally just hang down limp and lifeless - a horse's tail *should* reflect their expression and emotion! I come from the Western world where more horses than can be counted have "fixed" tails and it drives me CRAZY! A horse wringing her tail will tend to hold her tail low and twitch it irritably near the end - much like an angry cat lashing her tail. A horse swishing her tail - as the mare in the dressage video appears to be - is swishing the entire tail in rhythm with her movements. This is not an expression of irritability or unwillingness - this is an expression of exuberance, pride, joy - you can interpret it however you will, but in my humble opinion it is not the same as tail wringing. I, personally, enjoy seeing a horse so relaxed and so enjoying her performance that she feels free to swish her tail!

I thought the accomplishments of this horse and rider were amazing - I hate to see them criticized after a performance like that just because people didn't like the horse's tail. Good grief.

Just my humble opinion,
Jen

Yup, I watched the video too and I certainly got distracted by the tail
swishing that was going on but if you continue to watch this video and take
a look at the mares ears, they are loose and relaxed.  This is not a horse
who is in distress and hating her work!

Jeff and Donna Lee Cole
Turning Point Stables
Browns Flat, NB