From: "Maryanne Gabbani" <msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Catfish Daniels" <catfishdaniels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Pres Cup
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:15:10 +0200

Catfish,
I've posted my concerns on Ridecamp, but there are things that you should be
aware of regarding the social attitudes and horses in this part of the
world. One of these things is the fact that to people in the Middle East, a
horse is just a horse and as such has value if it is useful. They will go
to reasonable lengths to find uses for horses but at the end of the day, a
stable is a commercial enterprise even if it is just for racing and there
are bottom lines. This is more true in the UAE than in other parts of the
Middle East because the society there was, prior to oil, primarily traders,
pirates, and herders. Those are not name-calling. That's what they did. The
families of Dubai and Abu Dhabi are consummate traders and are amassing
fortunes far beyond any of their oil wealth in that field. They are also
very aware of the attitudes of other groups and really like to look like
good guys in public. No wealthy businessman is going to allow an increasing
drain on his enterprise by providing luxurious after care to an increasing
number of aging or injured horses. To be sure, there will always be the ones
trotted out to show how good the care is, but the simple amount of square
footage in the Gulf, the water and forage problems, among other parameters
point clearly that luxurious retirement of horses is not going to last
forever.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx Egypt Face to Face www.alsorat.com Weblogs Living In Egypt miloflamingo.blogspot.com Cairo/Giza Daily Photo cairogizadailyphoto.blogspot.com