[RC] Scotsdale impressions #2 - ranch

Impression #6
There is a barn that trains English Pleasure/Park horses that either needs to improve sanitation, or stop soring their horses. I saw a horse where both front pasterns either had bad cases of scratches, or had been burned with caustic to enhance action. Either way, this horse would not have started an Endurance ride, but apparently was good to go at Scotsdale.
Impression #7
While wandering around the back area we saw a semi trailer with a great graphic on the side. The graphic related to horses and sports medicine. I decided to walk over and see if it was an exhibit or a mobile clinic or whatever. It was set up as a horse van and as I walked around the back, I could see that there was a group treating a horse. They were injecting something into the RF foot of a horse. While I can’t prove anything, it sure looked like what my vet does to deaden when looking for lameness. Since there appeared to be no preparation to trot the horse out on a paved surface, my speculation is that this horse was being prepared to enter a class. If my, admittedly unsubstantiated, speculation is true shame on the show industry!
Impression # 8
Bling! I have not seen saddles with this amount of German Silver silver since the 50’s. Apparently, what goes around, comes around.
Impression #9
Tall Arabians. There were a lot of Arabians (not half Arabians), that were really tall. Definitely not my taste.
Impression #10
Lab coats. The rules in certain classes (driving, under 13 walk/trot) allow or possibly require handlers to come in at the end to assist. The handlers are dressed in white lab coats. The strange thing, to my eyes, is that there is apparently no requirement that the coats fit, or are more than thrown over the shoulders. Especially contrasted to the custom made show clothing, this looks quite tacky
We have been having a good time riding on the Arizona Desert.  The various Cacti are neat.  I have only been attacked by a jumping Choilla one time.  We do miss MT and will be happy to head back next week.

If these posts offend, do not be to hard on me.  I am just venting my impressions, with no pretense of being right or intending to change the show world.

Ed

Ed and Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
(406) 642-9640
Cell: (406) 544-2926
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=