[RC] Scotsdale Arabian show impressions part 1 - ranch

Wendy and I spent Sunday at the Scotsdale Arabian Horse Show. This is the first Class A show I have ever attended so I am going to post some random observations.
Please note that these are not necessarily endorsed by Wendy, and may bear little relation to reality. The usual disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home. Closed course. Professional driver etc.
Impression #1.
There were a large number of beautiful Arabian/Half Arabian horses there. Many would even make good endurance prospects.
Impression #2
The participants did not seem to be having much fun. I understand that the is serious business for the trainers, but participants in a 13 and under class should not be acting as if it is a matter of life and death. I saw one Jr. Dressage rider, who apparently had had a bad ride. She was crying her eyes out as she returned from the ring. Her horse was not in evidence. I suspect that, like many others, the horse was in the hands of the trainer except when she was in the ring.
Impression #3
We watched the sport horse in hand for awhile. Since it is slow, with only one horse in the ring at a time, it is not a good spectator event. At least most of the horses looked like they could do something.
Impression #4
Feet. With the exception of some of the sport horse entrants, the shoeing and trimming job on the horses was disgusting. I understand that by padding etc. you can get "better action", and that as long as they are only on the prepared ring surface, they are likely not hurt, but I don’t like it. I doubt that the shoes would stay on for 5 miles on a real trail, or that the horses would stay sound for a week of real conditioning.
Impression #5
Vaseline, shaving on yearlings. Even though there is a rumor that the rules have changed, the yearlings were shaved for 2 inches around the eyes and had a whole jar of Vaseline applied. While this doesn’t hurt them, it surely does turn a beautiful horse into a caricature of itself.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
(406) 642-9640
Cell: (406) 544-2926 =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=