Re: [RC] Far Out Forest - Truman Prevatt

As has happened all to often in the past couple years, work has gotten in the way of going to rides. It usually seems to be cold on date the FOF picks. I rode there once where the high was 45 with a 50 mph howling cold NW wind. I've ridden there when the hight of the day was at 8 AM. I road my first 100 there in a cold drizzle from about 7 PM on.

Of course I've had one ride there were it was perfect 72 degrees and sunny. I've ridden it when it was 85 and muggy. Ah, central FL in February - got to love it. It can be 85 one minute and 45 in 3 hours. I remember one year when Dane Frazier decided that the 100's a 50 would start at 4 AM (it doesn't get light till about 6:30) so people would have some miles under them when it did finally get hot. This was because the weather forecast was for it to be sunny, hot and humid (85) on Saturday. Well the forecast was wrong. It turned drizzly and never got out of the 60's. A lot of people were not very happy with that decision ;-) .

It is a great ride but it is a tough ride. It's very easy to underestimate that trail. The sand doesn't do much to the LD's, but it starts to impact the 50's and it is one tough course for a 100 - because as Lawton Johnston once said about the FOF - a hundred miles of sand starts to tire you out after awhile.

Congrads to everyone that made it.

Truman

Barnsourfarm@xxxxxxx wrote:
BRrrr! It was 22 degrees and possibly colder in that forest, but what a beautiful trail. Central Florida experienced the coldest night of the season. The good part was the horses pulsed down quickly. Thurman and Darlene had an exciting "race- in" on the 50 with Thurman placing 6th. Valerie Kanavy's three Arabs looked in top form. Kathy Downs had a great time on Blue. Roxanne Ciccone placed 9th on Spirit. Cole(12 yrs old) and I came in 13th and 14th on the 30. His pinto pony did great after a year off from competing. Brenda O'Donnell placed 4th in the 30 on Buster, the Tennessee Walker. Becky Siler did a great job taking photos. I didn't get to stay for the 100s to finish, but Steve Rojek looked great during the day as well as Cindy Bell. Nancy Gooch, our wonderful timer, worked in-times, out-times, hold times, and final times like a pro. Dr. Shearer monitored the horses carefully. The ride management and volunteers were fantastic and are planning more rides in the future, yea!

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas