Re: [RC] Speed over the years - Truman Prevatt

Jay Randle wrote:
Hi All

In 1903 the French National Military instigated an endurance ride from Lyons (la Tete d'Or) to Aix-les-Bains. This was held over 3 days, with distances of between 50 and 58 kms travelled each day. The competitors were officers of the 28th Dragoons and other divisions of the French National Military mounted corps.

That would be 30 to 35 miles a day - which is only 1/3 of the 100 (160) mile race in the UAE. You would expect the times faster in shorter distances. You are comparing LD distances with 100 miles.

The records for the race two years later, in 1905, state that the AVERAGE speed was 22 kms per hour! The winner for 1905 is listed as Captain de Champsavin, of the 28th Dragoons, on a ten-year-old horse, Jobourg. I have photographs of this 1905 event, and the scenes are very reminiscent of our endurance rides here (through water and over hills), as well as scenes of the horses travelling through cobblestoned villages. There are horses stopped at water points, there are horses being led over rough terrain, and the winner's horse is presented after the race in show condition!

That is fairly fast but again it's only 30 to 35 miles a day vs. 100 in a day.

If the AVERAGE speed for this race in 1905 was 22 kms per hour (Veterinary controls, although existant, were significantly less restrictive than today), it seems that the speed over the years has not really increased all that much?
This comes out to 13.67 mph for 30 to 35 miles - the PC was 15 for a 100. Back in 1995 I did a 50 in 3:40 which turns out to be 13.62 mph. I was second, had high vet score and won BC. Those types of speeds happen often enough - while it is fast it is not exceptionally fast on a 50. However, they are very fast on a 100 up to this point.

The UAE over the years have spent a lot of resources to develop the training facility and training methods to condition a horse to run a sub 7 100 - I suspect that a sub 6:30 is not that far off. That does not address any questions related to if this is in the best interest of the horses. But it is a race - as AERC rides are also races as are AERA rides so there is nothing limiting speed.

Back in the old days of NASCAR - it was determined that people would be dying right and left if there weren't restrictions on the engines and fuels. The roots of NASCAR was a bunch of good ol redneck boys getting together to show off their cars they souped up to out run the feds as they transported moonshine around the many dry states that populated the US South - some states are actually still dry by county. You could build cars that were far faster then the ability of a human to handle them. Hence the NASCAR rules evolved to address that. We may be approaching the same issue with speed and endurance horses - except the issue is the horse. Some might be able to be trained and peaked and run a sub 7 100 - once. Is that acceptable model for the sport?

We have no control on how the UAE trains and runs their horses. We have no control how the FEI views or addresses this issue. We do have control over the AERC as members in this country and the AERA as members in your country.

So I ask a question - at what point (if any) do we put a governor on our horse's speed?

Truman

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas