[RC] Riding while PG - Laura Hayes

We have had this discussion before, in fact, more than a few times....

I rode pregnant until the day before I delivered.  I did a ride at 7 months along, and one three weeks after delivery-handing the horse to the babysitter and nursing the baby during the check. I rode a dressage clinic at about 8 months along. There were people who thought I was crazy, or stupid and others who saw that I was an ultra fit 23 year old who had been riding since I could hold my own head up.  Would I do it again?  Only if I felt as good, as balanced and as confident as I did then.  My family physician ok'd it - he just did an iron man tri at age 61, so he understands athletes- but did tell me if I do fall off, the danger is not in 'losing the baby' but in breaking a major bone or structure that would seriously complicate carrying and delivering the baby.  Since I had ridden all my life and never had that happen (knocking on wood) and still have not, I took the odds to be in my favor.

BTW, I did not allow my son to ride as early as I was riding, or in some instances that I felt were not safe, as I did as a kid.  I never just plopped him on behind me, and he has always worn a helmet, something we never did as kids.

He is 22 now, a college graduate and never so much as had an earache as a kid, still likes us, and is kind to old folks, kids and animals, so I guess we 'done good.'

Laura Hayes
In cold and snowy Western New York State.