Re: [RC] pregnant and riding - SandyDSA

In a message dated 2/15/2007 11:43:50 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, rainbowmeadowsranch@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I think "good" doctors do give "competent" women credit BUT they also know that malpractice insurance is their lifeline to make a living.  If it goes away so does their career.  If they do not follow standard "practice of care" guidelines then their butt is hung out to dry.  So, they are somewhat forced to be very conservative in their recommendations.
I think that you are correct here - and honestly, I really dislike seeing OUR rates rise in various forms of insurance because someone else chooses to make stupid choices. Many OBGYNs can no longer practice simply because they can't afford the malpractice insurance necessitated by the suit-happy people who first do something stupid then proceed to sue the doctor - who probably told them NOT to do that particular something.  But then a certain amount of common sense - which is  apparently no so common anymore - needs to kick in. I think doctors need to hedge their bets - so they can continue to be available to many other people. In the end, things can go wrong when one does everything correctly - so why take a chance? Riding is one thing, competing likely another - but know when to say uncle. And for Pete's sake, don't blame the doctor - he isn't a babysitter. Nor is he God.