[RC] pregnant and riding - shaynesmith01

I rode trail and did dressage lesson until 3 weeks before I delivered.  And if I wasn't riding, I was hand walking my boys for exercise.  I was amazed how both my geldings "understood" my condition and really toned it down.

My OB simply gave me the lecture about being safe.  And then she reminded me that every time I got into a car there was a chance of getting into an accident.  Goes along with not if, it's when.  With my daughter, I felt much more comfortable on the back of a horse.  It took the pressure off my lower back and placed it in my hips.

I must say that my dressage trainer was quite pleased that I was sitting back better than I usually do.  Hee-hee.

What I did do, was switch to riding my retired, very fat, very bombproof arab gelding rather than my younger but seasoned guy.  It's not that I didn't feel safe of him, but I knew that my older gelding wasn't in shape enough to do something really stupid.  We were the big belly club, waddling down the trail.

I did ride my younger guy until about 7 1/2 months, but I also carried my daughter very high and towards my back, so my belly didn't stick out and my balance was a lot better that it could've been.

I plan on doing it again.  I had a very short labor and above all my mental health was GREAT!