[RC] pregnant and riding - Karen Everhart

We can certainly criticize doctors, and I have worked with them all of my professional career, and some deserve our criticism.  BUT, who do we turn to when we need medical assistance?  So, walk gently.

Remember this folk - if your doctor tells you that it is okay to ride and something goes horribly wrong, then perhaps you or the father of the baby sues.......Better to tell you "NO" and to have that documented in the chart or to have it as a "standard protocol", than to receive a notice of lawsuit from your JD of choice.

So, be wise consumers, decide what risks are "worth it" and go down the road you choose.  But, like in the discussions of riding with or without a helmet, please be able to "fully pay" for any decisions you make.  That includes the financial and emotional costs of your decisions.

I think "good" doctors do give "competent" women credit BUT they also know that malpractice insurance is their lifeline to make a living.  If it goes away so does their career.  If they do not follow standard "practice of care" guidelines then their butt is hung out to dry.  So, they are somewhat forced to be very conservative in their recommendations.  My docs know that my education and history allows me to make informed decisions.  They say to me "do what you think you can" and "clearly recognize the consequences".  I once went to a doc with a broken arm.  I told him I wanted a splint.  He wanted to x-ray.  I said, "why, I won't let you cast it as I have a ride this weekend".  He looked at me once, then again, then got the splint.  I rode that weekend.  Then I fell off a hay wagon, face first from 10 feet up and landed on the arm.  Broke it BAD that time.  There was no option that time, so had to have a cast applied.

My point: if you are pregnant, BE DARN CAREFUL.  It is one thing to risk your self, it is another to risk the health/well--being of a baby.  Yes, they are well protected.  But anyone around horses knows it isn't "if" it is "when".

Karen Everhart MEd
President
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com