Re: [RC] Comfort Issues on Long Rides - Diane Trefethen

The two best things you can do to reduce pain from riding are 1) become a better rider, ie, take lessons (as Angie suggested too) and 2) include one LONG ride each week in your conditioning schedule, usually on the weekend. The former will not only reduce YOUR pain, it will reduce the stress you place on your horse. Subtle changes can make a huge difference when applied over 50 miles. For instance, something as simple as keeping your upper body motionless when walking, relative to the horse's forward movement (much like a skier does, chest and shoulders still and facing downhill), will pay big dividends. You will have less back pain, less NECK pain, better balance and be softer on your horse's back. A series of lessons with brush ups every few months or so cost money that will go straight to the bottom line of your and your horse's ability to do a ride comfortably.

If you never go out on a 4-6 hr, easy-paced conditioning ride, how can you expect to spend at least that much time in the saddle on an Endurance ride and be comfortable? If you never push YOURSELF in conditioning, to the point you need to practice the tips your instructor has given you, how will you know how to do so effectively on a ride? Making that weekend ride longer costs you nothing and again, it will pay you back big time.

Mike Lewis wrote:
...Looks like the saddle covers will fix part of the problem...

One advantage of FULL saddle covers, particularly the sheepskin ones, that doesn't get a lot of press is the huge improvement in your ability to ride with a secure seat and quiet legs. It is much easier to keep your upper thighs and calves from moving about a lot and less movement = less friction = less rubbed skin = less pain.

I've grown to hate half chaps... trying to stay as "minimalist" as possible...
and
Smith, Dave wrote:
... I’m thinking about just wearing my baseball pants or maybe some
simple sweat pants.  Sure would be a lot cheaper.

I competed in plain vanilla tights, not padded or fancy ones, under sweats or, in summer, shorts because I didn't have the money to spend on the higher caliber riding gear. That might work for you or maybe not. You'll find out on that long, weekend conditioning ride :)