Re: [RC] [RC] Snakes / Virginia??? - Stacy Sadar

Snakes and Bears....that's what you'll see in VA!   You won't see them, but they are out there.  A friend of mine who lives in VA has only run across the bears a couple of times...they run away before she gets close and the horse knows they are there before she ever even noticed.  The snakes.....she carries a gun and kills them.  ;)

I'm like you Dawn...I actually like the snakes.  Raised them and kept them as pets.  Spiders...EEEEEEEEEEEEK.....can't touch them either.  Just like you, they freak me out!

Stacy

Dawn Carrie <rdcarrie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Chrystal,
I don't think you'll have to worry about seeing many snakes on trail.  I live in East Texas, and we have TONS of snakes here.  I love snakes, and am usually watching for them, hoping to see a neat one, and I almost never see one.  :(  I think I saw two in all of the miles I rode last year, and one of those was a small Texas rat snake laying off in the grass and hard to see.  As far as horses' reactions to them, don't believe all the movies you see where horses see a snake and rear in panic.  Our horses have zero reaction to them.  The other snake I saw on trail was a copperhead that my husband rode right over without seeing, and his horse never even saw it.  I swerved around it, and my horse didn't react at all.  A couple of years ago, an Eastern Coachwhip (a very fast black snake) shot across the trail right in front of my horse, and my horse just glanced down and kept on going.  It was just the movement that caught his eye, not the fact that it was a snake.

Everyone has their phobia...mine is spiders.  Uggh!

Dawn in East Texas (who loves snakes, but will freak out at contacting a spider web)