RE: [RC] Time and Money to Do This Sport... getting philosophical - Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk

I just turned 40 and have been riding for 4 years.  I have a wife and two
boys, 7 and 12.  I was forced to change jobs about 18 months ago but some
how that has not stopped me from competing in the NW region.  I do involve
my family who really enjoy going to rides and sleeping in until I get back
in camp when the all are needed to crew for me!!  The thing that I have
found most difficult is training time with my new job.  My old job I had
time to ride from 6:30 am to 7:30 each day before work.  I have to be at
work an hour sooner now and am always tired when I get home.  I also feel
like I am taking time away from the family after work unlike in the morning
when I was the only one up.  I have never had the same goals two years in a
row and I judge my success against each years goals.  I have changed from
going fast for the win to extending the mileage with no pulls.

While I have not goal to compete at the FEI level it is something that you
can shoot for even if you are not rich.  My suggestion is to try and make it
fun for the family and bring them along.  Ridecamp is a great place for
families, at least in the NW.  I do not know how many rides you have in your
area so 90% doesn't mean much to me.  I have done as many as 7 on one horse
in one season but usually ride 2 horses during the year so that I can do as
many as 12 to 14 rides depending on the distances and how my luck goes.
Also just showing up to help at a ride for the day is a lot of fun if you
cannot make it with a horse.  My wife and I try to volunteer at two rides a
year where I am not riding.  When I am riding My wife usually helps out
anyway.

The bottom line is have fun and don't take it all to seriously, it will ruin
it for you and your family.

Adam

Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk
584 Romie Howard Rd.