[RC] Towing with SUV - Barbara Berlitz

Jennifer,

I will echo what you have read so far. I have used my 2003 Yukon (not the XL) with a big 5300 V8 gasoline engine. It is truck based, like the Tahoe. That was significant for me. Also, it is both AWD and 4-wheel drive. I got good off road mud and snow load range D tires.

I tow a 2003 Trails West 2 horse, slant load mostly steel, enclosed BP. I went to a truck stop and weighed all of us: two horses, fully loaded for several-day trip with extra hay, I sleep in the back with thick foam pad, coolers, extra saddles, blankets…the works. We were loaded to the hilt. Total weight was 13,000 including fully gassed truck. THAT is pushing it. I rarely took two horses.

I do NOT like the brakes on the rig—even as just a “car” so really really drive defensively and pray when hauling a horse.

One big distinction in our areas, is that I am in coastal California. We have hills. Going to the vet involves traversing a 10% grade two-lane winding road. I don’t take that route with two horses. Even with one, and no extra gear, it is a chore on the truck. It is rated to PULL 7400 pounds. It cannot stop that. My trailer is about 3400 pounds. My needs matched yours when I made that decision. You’ll probably do just fine…but don’t get a car-based SUV. Most of them are rated for 5000 pounds, I think.

This post does lead to my next one…I’m moving up and need advice….on to next post

Barbara J. Berlitz