Re: [RC] Need input on feeding monster horses - bigthuddy

I lurk here quite a bit so I thought since I own 5 big horses as well as one little 14.3 hand arab I might give my 2 cents worth.  My big guys range in the area of 15.3- 17.3 hands and weigh aprox 1200-1500lbs. I myself am only 5'4. God,it is a LONG way down on the 17.3 hand mare so I try my darnest to neveer fall from that one! For the winter I feed them just but hay because they are doing nothing with themselves. We currently have 2/1/2 feet of snow and I live in an urban area with drivers who have no clue what that large 4 legged creature is. I put out 2 bales of hay(1st cut timothy and 2nd cut grass) that weigh about 50lbs 2x a day for them.  I figure it keeps them busy and warm. If they carry a bit of weight through the winter all the better. My little arab is on this as well but she gets a 1lb can of TC senior 2x a day. I  make sure the water is in the tub is warm and they seem to do jus t fine.  Good luck and you are doing a great thing for your neighbor.  Jen

From: "sherman" <sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I feed my neighbor?s big horses, 2 BIG TWHs, and a TB. I?m 5?5? and they tower over me, not the best mannered so I can hardly get their halters on. All they get is 1.5 flakes, twice daily, and a 3 lb coffee can of LMF Senior and about half that of pelleted rice bran once daily. I don?t know how they stay so huge, but they absolutely have much slower metabolisms than my Arabs, which are about 2/3 their size and eating at least 50% more and have nowhere near the excess weight that the big horses are carrying.

Kathy