[RC] Back in the saddle - Dorothy Foster

Title: Back in the saddle

Well, I haven't exactly been "out" of the saddle, but I haven't successfully done a 50 for several years. I haven't had a horse that was right for me for quite awhile. I finally have gotten up the nerve to ride my young mare, Allure, and even though I have only ridden her a few miles and most of those have been at the walk, I am looking forward to starting her on some LD's early this summer and hopefully have her ready for slow 50's by late summer or early fall. She is coming 7, but I had some unfortuntate experiences with a couple of trainers who almost spoiled her forever. I finally found a trainer who knew how to handle her, and took the time to do right by her and me. I am too old to break any more bones, so wish me luck.

The weather here in Northern California has been really nice so I have been able to ride frequently on the trails around Lake Oroville, though only recently on Allure. After looking at Karen Chaton's pictures, I have determined that I probably will never be the "gung ho" rider I once was (I hate the cold and when even Dave Rabe is pictured wearing long pants, you know it was really cold!) but I hope to be seeing a lot of my old friends out on the trail soon!  And if not on the trail, I will see you at the convention in February.

Dorothy Foster