[RC] Hell On The Border 2007 - Paul

Hell On The Border 2007

On December 8th, 2007, a small hardy band of Endurance Riders braved near 70 degree temperatures and partly cloudy overcast skies to ride the trails on the Oklahoma and Arkansas border.  Not very dramatic is it? Well, there was a forecast of bad weather (ice) coming to the region that night and on Sunday, so unfortunately quite a few folks decided not to come. This cut the number of riders quite a bit, but left more chili, cake and other goodies for the rest of us.

Despite a deceptively challenging trail, all five riders who entered the 50  and all ten riders who entered the 25 mile ride completed. There were also a group of fun riders who did 10 miles. That is a 100% completion rate the way I do the math. To give you an idea of how tough the trail really was, my completion time for 50 miles was 11 hours and 30 minutes. This got me the middle of the pack award. An unusual statistic from the ride showed that 40% of the horses that completed the 50 mile ride were non-Arab gaited horses. (doesn't that sound more impressive than "two gaited horses finished"?)

There were spectacular views, especially from Lovers Leap.  As it got dark the lights twinkling in the valley below were very pretty to see, but we had trail to cover so didn't stick around a long time to watch them as twilight turned to darkness. At the top of the mountain in late afternoon there was a circling flock of vultures. Whenever my horse would huff and puff and slow down while going up the hill,  I would just look up at the birds and say to my horse, " Uh oh Blue, Looks like they are getting lower"  He would then pick up the pace and move on out. They were great motivators for him:)

The Ride Manager, Anneta Tinsman, did a great job putting on the ride, which was a benefit fundraiser for the local therapeutic riding group. There were plenty of volunteers who made us feel welcome. She may be moving the rides date to late Spring for 2008. Try and come. It was worth the trip.

Paul Sidio
True Blue, the Missouri Foxtrotter (Ok we did a 50 together. Now will you go ride Piper some more?)
Spokane MO