RE: [RC] televising endurance - Kristen A Fisher

Yes, I remember Eco-Challenge. They had teams of 5, one had to be a woman, they were from all countries and backgrounds. Seems like I remember the Navy SEAL teams not doing as well as one would expect. Some of the extreme athletes did very well – but it seemed like the team who could physically hold up would win. I remember seeing people peeling layers and layers of duct tape off their blistered feet, along with a good part of their feet – YUCK. I think you had to finish with 4 team members so only one could drop out along the way. It was way more extreme than anything I have seen on TV in a long time.

Kristen

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cindy Stafford
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 11:01 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] televising endurance

Been following the discussion on endurance in the olympics and how to televise it, to keep people's interest.

Back in the 90's, before there was survivor and the apprentice, the producer, Mark Burnett, used to hold an Eco Challenge event, after hearing about these types of adventure races.  They were 11 day races of teams of 4, including kayaking, mountain climbing, mountain biking, etc. in places like Fiji, Morocco, Patagonia...The race was packaged into a two part show, i think it was aired on discovery and USA.  Last one was in '01.  Anyway, it was great TV on a January weekend watching all these 'mega' athletes, while i was tucked under my afghans eating pizza LOL.  Lots of excitement, with the experienced veterans along with the newbies, the arrogant/over confident ones, and the humble.  I think if someone like that focused on a Tevis or Old D type event, and really spent the time on 'backstories', etc. it could be good TV.  Shoot, just following my riding buddies and me around a 25, is good for a good laugh :).

Anyway, if they can get people to watch Big Brother, endurance should find an audience as long as they treated it with respect and followed the riders and teams, and didn't just show it as a 'who crossed the finish line first' event.