[RC] Endurance concepts - Steve Shaw

I have thought about these for a number of years.
One idea was to take a stadium, like Candlestick Park, and put down dirt like they do for some of the moto-cross events. The event would be going up the aisles and around the rims. This way you get the ups and downs, changes, figure eight's, etc. And the spectators can see the entire event and watch the strategies (such as tailing, walking the uphill, vet checks, crewing etc.) It would be easy for the media to follow. Another aspect would be to have 25 mile heats that would winnow the field, so that the last 25 miles of the 50 mile event would be more interesting and competitive. That would allow the media and spectators to focus on a shorter version and maybe minimize the "Ho hum" factor. You really do have to consider that in attracting media and sponsors.

Another idea I actually looked into was the same type of event but centered in Durango, Colorado. That venue, centered in an old west town, would have had a trail that went along the skyline surrounding Durango. With binoculars or scopes you could follow participants for about 80% of the route and the cameras could do the same. Vet checks would be in town, etc. This would have allowed 10 or more mile loops in a great setting. The town of Durango was all for it but what nixed the deal was the Colorado Dept. of Game and Fish. They controlled the property we needed to use. And they would not allow any competitive events on the property. But they DID allow hunters to use horses on the same properties!
I went as far as appealing to the top people in the Dept., but they all dug their heals in.....
Steve Shaw