Re: [RC] A New Endurance Ride Concept - SandyDSA

So...why does everything have to be spectator-friendly, or money-making or commercial? Can't something just be done because we can DO it or because it is fulfilling or heaven forbid, for the glory of the sport? It seems to my simple mind, bathed for years in the wisdom of A Brundage, that MOST of the time, the most fulfilling and memorable events in one's life are the ones where personal growth and satisfaction were paramount.

When I read the post a few days ago from...Kathleen?...I think - about coming back at 50 or so years old, I almost cried. I felt so part of that because after 2 major surgeries less than 20 months apart, and being told I MIGHT ride but never compete again, completing a "measly" 25 miler about 2 months ago was HUGE to me. It wouldn't have mattered if the Queen of ENGLAND was watching with rapt attention - it was a moment I will never forget, not just because it seems we idiot distance riders want to prove medical genius wrong :) but because so many days I felt that they might be RIGHT. Because I am aware that the repair job they did in my ankle could not be repeated should I thrash it badly enough - again - I realize I need to take care of it, but I also know  now that I CAN do more than I had - and I don't CARE who is watching (well, aside from Elle magazine).

If endurance never becomes  SPECTATOR GEM or an Olympic jewel, it will still be fun, still be a challenge, and still be to ME and many others, the pinnacle of equestrian endeavor, even more than my original love - jumping ( wonder if THAT will pass muster with my orthopod...).

Anyway, muse yourselves to pieces...just remember that the sport is what it is whether there are camera trained on the finish line or not.

Time for snow boarding in the pasture.

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com