Re: [RC] [RC] easy keeper - Dawn Carrie

We have a Paso Fino mare who is roly poly on just hay.  I suspect she may have equine metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance).  Our pasture isn't much during winter, so she's on hay only (round bale, good quality).  She gets a handful - and that's literally what I can pick up in one hand - of feed when we feed the others just because I feel sorry for her.  That's all she gets, other than the hay.  She looks and acts healthy, had excellent feet, etc.  We don't feed any of our horses supplements, except that our endurance horses get biotin.  Three out of four of our endurance horses are also easy keepers, and two of them get maybe 1/2 scoop of feed each, plus all the hay they want.

Dawn Carrie, Texas