RE: [RC] vests - Smith, Dave

Mary: Having had my share of unplanned dismounts, I too wear extra protection:  an eventing vest that has been one of my best investments.  I also ride with a “camel” water pack that gives extra protection to the spine.  Helmets, of course, are in my book, mandatory.  It blows my mind when I see folks riding with a western hat or no head protection whatever.  Particularly when I’ve gone through three helmets.  -- Dave

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of MaryBDVM@xxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 9:38 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] vests

I got a Casel-Equi endurance vest from Susan (healthyasahorse.net) too.  Most comfortable of the brands I tried, great colors, won't ride without it.  I had it custom fitted but it does need a bit of tweaking yet for the shoulder pads.  I plan on getting that taken care of in the non-riding weeks.   I  took another unplanned dismount and of course landed where there wasn't any padding on 5 Nov.  Broke my tailbone (youch!!!) and a rib, I believe from the jarring of the impact since I didn't land on my rib or anything else that should have broken it. Verified with my orthopod, who has become my regular doc, that I don't have osteoporosis. Horse-related trauma is the etiology of all my injuries.
I am as comfortable now in my vest as I am with my helmet and feel funny without either one, like I do if I don't put a seatbelt on.
I was very glad that on this rare occasion I was not riding alone and my two riding companions caught my horse, went back for the trailer and got me on my way.  Friends at home helped me get to get iced, medicated (and wined) and in bed.  Still too sore to ride but the weather is bad anyway. Am going through the debate of sticking with this very nice horse except for the occasional 180 or going for the sane, safer and most importantly shorter horse.
I am also an "older" rider (54) with the usual assortment of aches and pains.  Vitamin M (Motrin) is about as important to me as Fish oil, GLC (chondroitin/glucosamine), vit E, my chiropractor and Structural Integration practitioner (Rolfer).  I use all of them regularly as well as various i.e. exercise regimes when I'm especially motivated (when in physical therapy).  Again, a little wine and Maker's Mark are good muscle relaxers too.

Mary B
Morrow OH

Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.