Re: [RC] Feeding hay on the ground - Rae Callaway

Just goes to show that every horse and every situation is unique. :o)

Rae

----- Original Message ----
From: "Mcgann, Barbara" <BarbMcGann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2007 12:47:43 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] Feeding hay on the ground

Also, I think that sudden change is a big factor.   We were hauling 4 horses from Utah to Arizona - our Utah place had dirt in the feeding areas.   We stopped overnight in the low desert and put our horses up at a big, sandy arena and fed them off the ground.  3 out of the 4 had sand colic by the next day.  The vet was pulling great hunks of almost concreted manure out of them.   Maybe it was just a matter of their system not being used to that much sand at one time - the local horses didn't seem to have much problem with it!

Barb McGann