Re: [RC] my big red colt (long) - Don Huston

At 02:46 PM 1/31/2007 Wednesday, you wrote:
A few years back I was visiting a horse breeder in my area and came across this most awesome big red three day old colt.  He at a young age stirred something deep inside of me and I knew that he was meant to be mine.  The owner at the time did not want to sell him.  I  revisited about 6 weeks later and she would sell but the price was too high.  At three months I went back and she and I agreed on a price and I took him home.  I raised him up, watched him develop into a lovely young strong gelding.  When he was four I lost him in a divorce,  but he was given back to me 4 years later.  I was ecstatic.  In the last 8 months we got to know each other all over again.  We explored trails in Eastern WA. and started to take dressage lessons at the local boarding farm.  I was in love all over,  he was the same horse.   Then this morning I got the call,  "I'm so sorry, your horse died last night".  I could not believe my ears,  I kept saying, "well  is he OK now?  You must be kidding."   Although I heard the words they did not register.  My big red colt broke his neck in a safe, solid stall.  Although his potential will never be realized,  he will live with me always.

God Speed,  Rama.  I will miss you

Hello Patty, I did not write this and I do not know who did but it seems to speak to your terrible loss.

I'll lend you for a little while my grandest foal, HE said.
for you to love while he's alive and mourn when he is dead.
It may be one or twenty years, or days or months, you see,
but will you, till I take him back, take care of him for me?
He'll bring his charms to gladden you, and should his stay be brief,
you'll have treasured memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay, since all from earth return,
but there are lessons taught on earth I want this foal to learn.
I've looked the wide world over In my search for teachers true.
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes, with trust, I've chosen you.
Now will you give him total love? not think the labor vain,
nor hate me when I come here to take him back again?
I know you'll give him tenderness and love will bloom each day,
and for the happiness you've known, forever grateful stay
But should I come and call for him much sooner than you'd planned,
you'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and someday, understand.

[]

Don Huston at cox dot net

GIF image