[RC] One rein stop vs Cavalry stop - Amber Roberts

Vchorsegal@xxxxxxx wrote:
 I like the fact that I can use a very light hand to stop or rate them, and I don't have to spin them, as in a one rein stop
There is a very interesting article in the January issue of Western Horseman about the one-rein stop vs the Cavalry stop.  After reading that, I started practicing the Cavalry stop with my new horse and it works beautifully.  I'll continue with lateral flexion and the one-rein stop so he doesn't forget that, but I plan on using the Cavalry stop more.  With it, the horse and rider remain straight.  Basically you leave one rein in the normal riding position and lift the opposite rein straight up.  Depending on the lift, it either slows the horse or stops the horse.  After practicing, the lift is not as exaggerated.  Good article to read.

Amber