Re: [RC] pupura hemorrhagica - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Yes, one of my mares, Valaba had this when she was in
foal to Little Diego.  Dr. Byerly, Merced, CA -
treated her like he would a cow with it.  He said,
"you are going to possibly loose her, she will loose
the foal with the steriods and/or you could loose
both."  I said, "do what you have to do to save her!"
He not only saved her he saved the foal as most of you
know and have met, Little Diego, who is now owned by
Colton Medeiros.  Litle Diego's registered name was
going to be Byerly's Triumph.  We never registered him
because we knew he was going to be small, geldged, and
was going to remain with us FOREVER!  Until Colton
came along 1.5 years ago and they fell in love with
each other.

Yet, I digress!  I would contact Dr. Byerly who is now
privately employed by the Flying M ranch in Merced,
CA.  I don't have his number.  If you can't find it
call Kathy Moren (let her know I referred you)
209-722-0279 she can get you his number.

Best of luck for your friend.
D'Arcy
--- Beth Bliss <bcbliss@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Purpura hemorrhagica of horses is a form of
nonthrombocytopenic purpura that often is a sequela
of an earlier Streptococcus equi respiratory
infection; it is mediated by immune complexes of
antibody and streptococcal antigen in vascular
basement membranes.
(from the Merck Veterinary Manual)
http://www.merckvetmanual.com.  There are 3 pictures
on the site.

My friends coming 3 year old filly has been
diagnosed with pupura hemorrhagica.  She is being
treated with a steroid and a antibiotic, but just
wondered if anyone on this list has personal
experiences with this disease that I could share
with her.

At first, she thought it was hives, and began the
process of eliminating various possible allergens
from her environment one at a time, but as it
progressed to oozing fluid filled areas on her
forelimbs, she went to the veterinarian.  At first
the treatment relieved some of the symptoms, but now
it is getting worse, with large areas of edema on
her belly, flanks, vulva etcetera.  The vet has had
one other case like this, and is working through the
medication/treatment options and visiting daily at
this point.

Thanks,
Beth

D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson