[RC] pupura hemorrhagica - Beth Bliss

Purpura hemorrhagica of horses is a form of nonthrombocytopenic purpura that often is a sequela of an earlier Streptococcus equi respiratory infection; it is mediated by immune complexes of antibody and streptococcal antigen in vascular basement membranes.
(from the Merck Veterinary Manual) http://www.merckvetmanual.com.  There are 3 pictures on the site.

My friends coming 3 year old filly has been diagnosed with pupura hemorrhagica.  She is being treated with a steroid and a antibiotic, but just wondered if anyone on this list has personal experiences with this disease that I could share with her.

At first, she thought it was hives, and began the process of eliminating various possible allergens from her environment one at a time, but as it progressed to oozing fluid filled areas on her forelimbs, she went to the veterinarian.  At first the treatment relieved some of the symptoms, but now it is getting worse, with large areas of edema on her belly, flanks, vulva etcetera.  The vet has had one other case like this, and is working through the medication/treatment options and visiting daily at this point.

Thanks,
Beth