[RC] managing over 50 - sherman

At 58 I know it takes so much more effort to stay in shape. I do believe
that riding keeps my core strong. I fast walk regularly, up & down
hills, about 3 miles, try to do it 3-4 times a week. But recently had a
muscle spasm that sounded like the same area that you talked about and
after 6 weeks of constant excrutiating pain, chiropractic care, RX drugs
(just so I could sleep) message, acupuncture, healing oils and magnet
therapy, the spasm stopped and now, after 3 1.2 months, I still still
have some nerve pain, tingling, numbness in the arm, but is slowly
diminishing.

When my shoulders and back was feeling so tight, I pulled out my 20 yr
old Crystal Light Aerobic Champions Exercise tape and boy do I feel
better after an hour with my old exercise buddies. Funny thing...they
haven't aged (:<(. It's low impact aerobics so there are lots of high
arm movements incorporated into the routines to keep the heart rate up.
My back, shoulders and arms feel wonderful after a workout. All the body
movements involved in riding and "living" don't usually include many
repetitive high arm movements. I think that lack of regular full body
exercise contributed to my muscle spasm. I don't recall any specific
action that caused it.

I still carefully lift 50# bags of feed, I flip the hay bales, I try to
not "overdo" anything, instead do little pushes to improve or just to
keep up. People respond differently to the different formulations of
glucosamine/chondroitin. After about 3 mos, if one formulation doesn't
ease the joint pain, then try a different formulation. I have good
results with both Costco's and Trader Joe's least expensive, and so does
my dog. And I do take a double dose of the MSM if I feel any
inflammation going on. Also, if you sit at a computer be sure to do arm
stretches frequently (stretch everyone!)

Kathy

p.s. can you rig up a pulley system to get that hay ring up the hill?