Re: [RC] Chips and Ringers - Sisu West Ranch

It is certainly possible to "custom make" a chip. The problem is that while the methods of production of chips are common knowledge, it requires a very large investment in a factory to be able to produce the first one. The next few million only cost pennies.

To sell the forged chips for a profit, you would either have to sell hundreds of thousands, or charge a real bunch of money. Now reputable manufacturers will not make you a forged chip, because their reward would be less than what they are risking, so the forger would have to be located in a 3rd world country or a warehouse somewhere.

I suspect that the worldwide market for forged animal ID chips is a few thousands at the most. Not a very attractive market when compared to DVD's, passports or smart credit cards.

It would be far easier to produce a forged horse passport under today's system. A book with writing and a few signatures is child's play with modern technology. (Please don't flame me if there are a bunch of modern anti forgery stuff in passports, I only saw one and that was a few years ago, so it is possible that now passports are quite secure.)

If it were to develop that chips were being forged and it was a problem, a more secure system could be easily developed. Examples: In the good old days cell phone ID's were often forged. That just doesn't happen now. The first couple of smart card security systems for satellite TV were often pirated. Last time I checked this is no longer a problem. In both cases I suspect that the security could be broken, but it would cost more than it would be worth.

When chips become accepted as ID for high stakes races, we will find out. I will follow with interest.

By the way, at least part of the ID of TB race horses is tatoos on the lip if I remember correctly. This system seems to me to be very easy to forge. I believe it is now possible to remove tatoos with a laser and thus be able to put a new one on. I also understand that it is quite common for the tatoos to fade and become hard to read after a few years. Perhaps, Kat can enlighten us about forged IDs in the TB industry. It would be a good model for the problems International Endurance will face as more money enters the sport.
Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875