RE: [RC] rainsheets and wet horses - aarenex

Here in Western Washington state, we are experts at Rain And What To Do With It.

What you look for is *not* a brand name (other than to choose a brand you've actually heard of--cheap knockoffs are not a good choice for this) but rather the magic words  "Waterproof and Breathable".

A good waterproof/breathable sheet will be sturdy, rather than thin.  The fabric must breathe (to let the horse steam evaporate) and also be waterproof (to keep the rain off).

I hear that folks in colder climates can get by with water *resistant*, but that doesn't work here--not for human jackets or horse clothing.  The rain here is not always heavy (although it certainly has been this week!) but it seems to be almost constant for months on end.  There is rarely enough time for a damp "water resistant" garmet to dry out.

If the horse is drenched or shivering, by all means put a polarfleece cooler under the sheet for an hour or two, then remove the now-soaking wet cooler and put the sheet back on.  But it's rarely cold enough for that here.

Also:I have my stuff repaired and re-waterproofed every year, for humans and horses.

--Aarene, in the EXTREMELY wet Pacific Northwest
where we don't need waterwings yet, but we are keeping our snorkels handy

--
Distance tests the endurance of a horse; time reveals the character of a person. --Chinese proverb
aarenex@xxxxxxxxxxx