Re: [RC] Beet pulp and cigarettes (now colics) - Beth Walker

I agree with Ed on this one. ?From what I remember "back in the day", a 20 year old horse was old. ?If you were looking to buy a horse, you didn't buy one much over 12, because they only had a few good years left in them. ?

Horses got wormed once or maybe twice a year, had their teeth checked maybe every couple of years, and were hand-floated (no power tools or mouth speculums), and got straight alfalfa hay, maybe with some wheat bran once a week.

What I remember is that somewhere in the mid-late 80's (I think), the straight alfalfa diet (plus hard water and maybe the wheat bran?) became linked with the formation of enteroliths - at least in this neck of the woods. ?People started shifting from straight alfalfa to half-and-half with grass or oat hay, or going to all oat hay or all grass hay. ?