[RC] FW: [theenduranceopen] please forward to all equestrians - Evelyn B. Allen

From: theenduranceopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:theenduranceopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gesa Brinks
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 1:59 PM
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Subject: [theenduranceopen] please forward to all equestrians

Subject: please forward to all equestrians

URGENT - Nov-Dec 2007 – Action is need now.

Keep hope alive for the Los Caballos Horse Camp

The Situation:

The Los Caballos Family Equestrian Camp has been closed for 4 years.

Now California State Parks wants to destroy it – completely and permanently.

Los Caballos, in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, has been a much loved gathering place and community resource for California equestrians and their friends and families since the 1950's.

The Cedar Fire of October 2003 only damaged the camp minimally, but it has never been reopened; now State Parks plans to take the final steps to dismantle and remove all signs of the entire campground within months.

If the camp is wiped out, so are our hopes for ever getting it reopened.

Our Plan of Action:

The equestrian community represented by Cuyamaca Equestrian Association (CEA) is taking action to attempt to protect and preserve Los Caballos Horse Camp from imminent destruction by nominating it as an Historic Site.

It will cost approximately $15,000 to accomplish the Historic Site nomination process.

If we succeed (and it is not a sure thing), the camp would be designated as a National Historic Site. Ongoing use is possible at such Historic Sites (the Belmont Park Roller Coaster, or Balboa Park, for instance). But there is no guarantee that horse people, or anyone else, would ever be allowed back into the camp. But if we fail to stop its destruction, it will certainly be gone forever.

Please support the Los Caballos Fund.

Large and small contributions are gratefully accepted.

Please send your check to REC (Recreation and Equestrian Coalition). REC is a 501.c.3 entity assisting CEA. Your donations to REC are tax deductible.

Write "Los Caballos Fund" on the "note" section of your check.
Please mail it to:

Recreation and Equestrian Coalition
P.O. Box 245
Agoura Hills , CA 91376

Thank you for taking action – your contribution makes a difference.

To join CEA, visit www.cuyamacaequestrian.org ,
or contact Peggy Martin 619-445-1289, peggy@oakzanitaranch.com  with any questions or if you wish to help gather information for the nomination.

your own.

.