RE: [RC] Be part of the solution - David LeBlanc

Susan said:

Just an idle thought along the lines of introducing newbie requirements to
the sport?maybe for the first 5-10 rides or whatever, newbie riders should
have to meet a lower pulse criteria at the vet checks.? Say, about 24
<vbg>.? And/or, require a stringent exit CRI.? The vetting framework is
already in place, all it needs is an extra tick mark next to the rider?s
name on the in-timers list and/or on the vet card.? Or, a different colored
vet card.? Or, whatever.

This is as good a thread to tag onto as any - I noticed a previous post
where you discussed the various horses you'd seen in the last year that
needed treatment. For some reason, I started thinking about that post again
this morning, and while your sample wasn't statistically significant, it was
large enough to be interesting. Which leads me to a couple of thoughts -

1) I don't think it will do much good to study fatalities. There aren't
enough of them to show a trend, and I think that what analysis has been done
shows there's no solid trend. What I do think will help is to study
treatments. There's enough of these that getting a reasonable sample size
ought not be too hard. I consider a treatment as a fatality that could have
happened, except that the system does indeed work most of the time - horses
get pulled before things get too out of hand, and if treatment is available
soon, we can usually keep things from going from bad to worse.

2) If Susan's small sample turned out to hold over a larger population, we
probably do have new riders disproportionately getting into trouble. If
that's the case, your suggestion ought to do some good. Maybe there's some
way to couple that with a minimum ride time - if they come into the vet
check too soon, maybe they can just stay there a while.

If we can get a better understanding of just how it is that horses end up
needing treatment (beyond the obvious, which is too fast for conditions),
maybe we can make some reasonable rule changes that will reduce the number
of treatments, and may well reduce fatalities.