[RC] [RC] Is Beet Pulp Toxic To Horses? The Real Story - Lynn White

I found something to question in Lorrie Bracaloni's
article:

"Like many other crops, sugar beets are treated with
an extensive array of
herbicides to limit weeds and grasses in the fields.
The herbicides are
absorbed by the beets. Nothing removes the chemicals
from the pulp. In
addition, growers top the beet plants with a chemical
defoliant to kill back
the tops before harvest. These chemicals also end up
by-product beet pulp."

I don't know about Lorrie, but I am surrounded by
sugar beet fields.  The farmers MAY spray them once
when the plants sprout and that's about it.  Most of
the weed control is done by hand. Around here one can
recognise the beet fields by the weeds growing in
them. During the harvest process the beets are
exfoliated by machine NOT by chemicals, since most
fertilizers and herbicides are petrochemically based
and expensive.  Farmers are getting away from
chemicals because it has become more economical to
farm by non-chemical means...at least in my neck of
the woods. I've actually tasted soaked beet pulp and
it is not sweet.  We have an extrememly inexpensive
source of beet pulp pellets because beets are grown
locally and the pellets are mainly used to feed sheep
and cattle. This practice has been in extensive use
for the sheep ranches and cattle owners for
years...with little if any adverse affects on the
beef/sheep industry.  As far as the fiber is
concerned, doesn't the lower gut of a horse NEED inert
fiber?

Also, how does Lorrie know that the chemicals do not
leave the beet pulp?  Has she taken a tour of a sugar
beet factory?  What qualifies that statement?

I have an easy keeper that gets just enough beet pulp
to mix with her vitamins and that's all she gets.
Beet pulp is the major calorie source for my 22 year
old gelding.  He looks wonderful. My 18-month colt
gets about as much as my easy keeper. I also feed
grass/alfalfa hay. All my horses have great feet,
coats and attitude.

Beet pulp may not work for some horses with metabolic
disorders, but IMO this small minority should not
justify abandonment of this inexpensive and nutritious
feed.