Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Mariposa/Suffering The Sport - Dawn Carrie

Truman makes a good point here (and it kills me to agree with him on something!  <G>).  Any organization needs to be cognizant of the bottom line.  But - is dinging successful protest filers $50 the best way to do so?  I don't think so.  From what I see in EN, there aren't a whole lot of protests filed in an average year.  So, collecting $50 a pop isn't going to be a significant source of income to AERC, relative to sanctioning fees, rider fees, membership dues, etc.  So, this leads one to conclude that increasing revenues is *not* the main reason for adding this $50 non-refundable fee to protest filings.

Kat (in another post) suggests that the $50 fee is an attempt to discourage potential protesters from filing.  This certainly seems plausible.  I can't think of any other reason for adding the fee.  It's NOT going to be a major source of income.  And I'm guessing it WILL discourage people from filing protests, especially those who might file them on behalf of a horse, or in other instances where the protester him/herself has nothing to gain.  Other than the ability to sleep better at night, knowing that they did the right thing, that is.  But now that good night's sleep is going to cost them $50.

Dawn Carrie, Texas