[RC] Mariposa/Suffering The Sport - frank solano

It was said, "Thanks to AERC, he didn't lose it, and he got "edified."...regarding the horse at Mariposa...and I really understand Heidi's perspective, it seems to make sense.

Rather than "discussing" it from the wrong end, perhaps "discussing" from the "other" end would be more effective.

As if to say, "Thanks to AERC, he was able to show up and jeopardize a horse because he (in fact) MET the rules, UNTIL HE DIDN'T."

Why must we always speak of "narrow escapes", "but, the horse was saved", and so on?

Why can't the organization see a need to protect all horses BEFORE they're jeopardized?
If it is the RULES which are lacking, heck, don't write MORE, write MORE EFFECTIVE ones, which would preclude the repeat of truly bad behavior, which happens at a ride every weekend in some part of the country, in some region, on the part of riders, new ones or experienced one.

Ultimately, it isn't even about the rules, it is about seeing what is wrong with the way we pursue our "entertainment" and the need to discontinue rationalizing what happens to horses, any horses, who suffer.  It's curious how we, as an organization, seem to be able to quantify "suffering", i.e., "a little is okay, a medium amount is probably okay, a whole lot is....well, at least the horse was saved!"

  It is downright strange.

Frank Solano