[RC] FW: Sudden Behavior Changes - Juli Bechard

Anyone here have any ideas about what would cause a sudden behavior change in a gelding?

I have a 14 year old gelding that I have owned since he was 4.  About five months ago, we had some foot issues and he was given 4 months off to get fully sound.  The vet cleared him to ride, so I started him slowly back.  The first two weeks were just fine.  He was a little spooky, but nothing more than what you would expect out of a high strung horse coming off a vacation.  The last two weeks have been a whole 'nother ballgame.  Under saddle, he's getting stronger and stronger.  He fights me constantly if I ask for a slow speed.  He has bolted and ran with me.  He seems worried to me...and when he's worried he goes faster.  This is NOT normal behavior for him.  He's always been forward, but he's always been controllable.  We've done a lot of dressage type work, and I can normally sit down and say "whoa" and he stops.  Not now...  He is spooking constantly at everything.  He is getting harder to control on the ground.  Twice, he has yanked the lead rope out of my hands and run off.  He actually bit one of the other horses while being led a couple of days ago (which I have to add is very much forbidden in our barnyard, and he has never offered to even pin his ears at another horse before).   Last night, I couldn't get him out of the barn yard because he was spooking at a bale of hay.  He was spinning and bouncing, and throwing his head around so bad, I got off before I came off.  I then put him in the round pen and let him run it off...except he didn't.  He ran with no prompting from me other than to change his direction for 45 minutes...and he was still a handful and spooking and acting like an idiot.  He is getting hard to catch, and he's always been the first horse to be caught.

He has had NO recent changes to diet.  He is currently getting 1.5 cups of oats and barley, and 1/2 cup of whole flax twice a day, as well as Selenium/Vit E and a multivitamin.  He gets free choice grass hay, and about 1/2 flake of perennial peanut hay in the evenings.  This has been his diet for the last year and a half.  We can't find anything sore on the horse (we being Alpine's massage therapist and I).  His saddle fits, his back isn't sore, he is 100% sound.  I have thought about his vision, and the vet is going to come check it for me.  There have been no changes in his living arrangements.  He is outside 24/7 except to eat.  His herd is the same.   Our resident mare is in heat, but that's never caused an issue before. The ONLY thing new is we bought our grass hay from a new grower about 5 weeks ago, but it 's coastal bermuda......I don't see that causing any serious behavior changes.  I have sent some off for nutritional testing, so I will answer that as soon as we get the results back.  He is current on vaccines, deworming, foot care, and teeth floating.

Any other ideas?  I'm inclined to think it's more than him just being a turkey.  He's gone Turkey on me before, and it's never been this drastic...it normally involves "sneaking" into a canter and a bit of spook, And he seems agitated and worried to me.  I'm kind of worried about it to be honest.  I guess I can try buting him and seeing if it is a pain issue.  If I can't find anything else, I guess I'll try the wet saddle pad method of training and take him out for a good long ride where I know he (and undoubtedly I) come back tired.  Of course, that's providing I can get him past the hay bales in the yard.  Sigh....

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will bounce them off my vet and see what she thinks....

Juli  (who currently has nothing fun to ride and is consequently going crazy) and the Herd
Alpine (who has recently gone insane and is not much fun to ride at the moment)
Merlin (who is too young to ride yet)