Re: [RC] Parelli Thread - Jackie Causgrove

Well, I've been reading this thread with a bit of interest; as I am very, very new to the endurance sport but not new to training by any means.  Also, I've been trained in classical dressage as a foundation.
This is what I do know.

Much of what goes on today with the various programs is nothing new; just repackaged.  I have no beef with that; classical dreassge instruction isn't for everyone.
And if the info out there makes more sense to people in a different format, good!

However, this instruction has been around for a LONG time: going back to Xenophon-written in 400 B.C.
  If ya want something a tad more current, start by reading "The Complete Training of Horse and Rider" by Alois Podhajsky; first published in 1967.

My other point is that it was written that certain programs "They teach you how to ride, really ride. Flying lead changes, 360's, rollbacks, and turn outs to the opposite lead at a gallop."

Being able to exucute certain riding manuevers doesn't guarantee one knows how to ride.  That is a fallacy as the poster stated he had witnessed an "A" circuit rider pulling a horse over when the horse reared.

An independent seat and independent hands is what makes a rider; regardless what of what discipline one is in ivolved in

There is not just one way to achieve this level of riding; fortunately.  We all learn differently; just like our horses.

Happy trails
Jackie

Richard Sacks <rsacks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just to correct and enhance a couple of points.

Becky Hart's involvement with Parelli was when she and several of the other Light Foot group took lessons from Deb Cooper (www.DebCooperHorses.com) as well as many other well known endurance riders in the Santa Cruz, CA area.. Becky currently focuses on Centered Riding Techniques and I believe she teaches that method. Deb spent 14-15 years with Pat's program. I spent five years at Deb's place and she help me get to level 3. One of the reasons Deb left Pat's program was because the program doesn't allow you to take it to sport until you get to level 4. The Parelli program is a horsemanship program and was designed for people with limited exposure to horses. However it is applicable for people with extensive horse involvement and can certainly enhance their performance (as evidenced by their involvement with the OConners, Leon Harrel, Stacey Westfall and others). It certainly provides a strong foundation for working with horses. It can be taken to very elite levels in the liberty area of horsemanship as evidenced by Honza (I was part of group that worked with him at Deb's place for about 3 months), and Nezarov (who was introduced to the techniques by Honza). The program works best with high quality instructors (Deb, Lee Smith, David Lichman, Janita Hayes, Karen Rohlf, etc.) Karen Scholl is also a product of the program and now has her own program that focuses on women who are coming back to horses. It can be learned from the CDs just the same way any subject manner can be learned from a book. IMO I wouldn't call it a riding program. The best riding program I know of today is a 50 year old program developed by Monte Foreman called the Foreman Handle. The only remaining instructors of this program are Janiece Wilson (Queen Creek, AZ), Patrick Wyse, and Ron McLoughlin (Pearce, AZ). They teach you how to ride, really ride. Flying lead changes, 360's, rollbacks, and turn outs to the opposite lead at a gallop.

All of these programs have their place dependent on your needs and abilities. I have seen many riders in a variety of disciplines with varying degrees of horsemanship that could benefit from any number of these programs. I have also seen what most would consider to be top horse people display lousy horsemanship. One example comes to mind on the A level jumping circuit where a top level winning rider in warm-up had his horse rear up on him and he pulled back on the reins pulling the horse over on him. I am sure when you go to rides you will see people with some very big and severe bits. Endurance is point to point with little need for elevation. It requires mostly lateral flexion. Bits are not brakes. Most horses can do what we do in a rope halter. Anybody remember Tracy Falcone (another Parelli student) doing Tevis in a neck string? When asked why, I think she said because she can. A testament to her training and her horse's training. Most people think that they know more than the next guy, especially those who are earning lots of money conveying their knowledge. I would prefer to work with the premise that I can learn something from anybody and never turn down the opportunity for education.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. Life is about learning to dance in the rain. Author unknown

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. Life is about learning to dance in the rain. Author unknown