Re: [RC] Parelli/Tao of Horses/mental fitness - Elizabeth Chase

Wow, I loved that book.

I agree with what you gleaned about her comments on various trainers.... and
there may be a level of rapport such as LK describes that is achievable... I
don't know .... yet. I can only go by my own experiences that others may view
as 'wierd' or 'mystical'.

I had a chance to visit with Linda Parelli about the human psychology angle...
and her feedback to me was that they can teach about the horse, what they have
discovered that works... what the human does with that information is up to
each individual's choice.

I postulated that like most 'issues', each person needs to become self-aware,
to realize the potential for change, for growth, before the possibility for
growth or change becomes possible. Then, the course of that change or growth
depends on many factors as to whether it will be a positive or not-so-positive
outcome.
(One can illustrate that with the shopaholic, the alcholic, the workaholic, the
yarnaholic, the person that reads or stays on the computer to avoid interaction
with 'reality'.... extreme examples to be sure.... )

The trainers/instructors, etc are not therapist, psychologists or lifestyle
coaches.... and yes they do carefully and purposefully skirt that territory,
which is why I will not be a PNH professional. I like the niche of being a
growth/change facilitator and helping a person find the resources to help
themselves. I may have to become at least a one-star, though, in order to even
legally talk about PNH or use PNH-simulations with my clients. Linda indicated
to me that she liked my take on being a bridge to help others.

Maybe I'll reread the Tao of Horses for a bit of spiritual inspiration...

Liz

--- Sheila_Larsen@xxxxxxx wrote:

I am reading the Tao of Horses and what I just finished reading was her
discussion on how many trainers, including Parelli and other natural
horsemanship type people, have all these very good techniques but fail or
are scared of addressing the emotional and mental fitness of the people
working/playing with the horses.  She states that Parelli mentions that
people need to be emotional fit (collected I believe is his term) but
doesn't state how to achieve it.  The instructors may have it but the
instructors may not have the skill or are scared to address the issue for
fear of opening Pandora's box.    I am fortunate in that my last instructor
and my current instructor have been very aware of the importance of the
rider's emotional/mental fitness in dealing with horses.  Anyway, it is an
interesting  and imo valid concept and opens up a whole  new dimension in
the relationship with one's horse.  I know it is something most of us are
aware of but being aware and really putting our awareness to use is
sometimes two different things.

As for the book, I am half way through it and can recommend it.  There were
parts I slogged/skimmed through because at this point in my life I wasn't
interested in that part of her discussion, but she has some interesting
insights and a capable way of explaining her ideas.