judging others methods Re: [RC] parelli - Elizabeth Chase

I would ask of you the forbearance to refrain from judging the Parelli method
based on so small a sampling.

Parelli is not, I repeat NOT, about training horses.

Parelli IS about understanding equine behaviour plus emotional and mental
fitness... first in the human, who then is in a position to help the horse
become more emotionally and mentally fit. It's about leadership.

Here's the big rub: many of those poor humans never advance their mental or
emotional fitness and it shows in their relationships with their horses and
other humans in their lives. They are too scared to challenge their basic
assumptions about life and coping.

I'm sure the person you referred to is doing the best she knows how to do.... I
think she needs to take some lessons from a PNH instructor in order to advance
her skills, she seems very stuck in Level One. Maybe that's how the rest of her
life is as well.

Many PNH students also don't understand that it is possible to turn a 'no,
don't do that', into a 'yes, do that'... it is possible to direct firmly
without anger .... but it takes time and self-examination to get to that point,
including challenging long and closely held opinions about how they think the
world works.

I can tell you I take my horses for long walks, like I would my dog. They love
it.... exploring new places, seeing different creatures, making friends with
mailboxes, helium balloons.....4-wheelers, combines, and all kinds of
traffic.... without the burden of a predator on their backs. Then when I am on
their backs, they trust me and know that I'm not going to put them in a
situation we can't handle together. Sometimes we sit in the woods and watch the
deer come closer, checking US out. We're enjoying our time together, and that
doesn't have to include riding. My horses will invite me aboard with their body
language. None of this dancing around stuff, avoiding the rider.

So instead of judging another, perhaps watch and wonder if there is something
you could learn about yourself.

Liz
MN
PNH student almost into level 3

--- jeanmiller@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have a good friend who claims that all Parelli does is teach non horsey
women how to love their horses!  I also have a neighbor who has a huge
dressage jumping horse.  This horse is fine in the ring, but get him outside
a ring and after working on trail (he crosses everything and will follow
Maggie anywhere), he throws a hissy fit and usually ends up by dumping his
rider.  My friend who has been doing the parelli thing for over a year now,
is still leading this horse for over a mile before she gets on his back to
trail ride, she only walks on trail, and then she leads the horse over a mile
home.  She is afraid of this guy and to be honest with you, so would I be.
In fact, if I were in her shoes with 3 young kids, I would get rid of this
horse and get something that I could safely ride anywhere.  I am guessing
that a very experienced rider could get through to this horse but then he
comes back to Jullie  the same problem will exist.  I did find a halflinger
cross that she leased for the summer.  This is the horse she rode on trail by
herself, put her kids on, and in general had a blast.  Toby is a good ol'
boy.  But when Jullie tried the parelli thing to get him in the trailer,
guess who won?  The owner got Toby in the trailer in minutes.  I am sure that
all methods of training have their place.  But I always figured, one takes
little of this, a little of that, and then uses what works best for you.  At
any rate, I was well entertained this summer.  Jeanie

Be a better pen pal.
Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/