[RC] parelli - jeanmiller

I have a good friend who claims that all Parelli does is teach non horsey women how to love their horses!  I also have a neighbor who has a huge dressage jumping horse.  This horse is fine in the ring, but get him outside a ring and after working on trail (he crosses everything and will follow Maggie anywhere), he throws a hissy fit and usually ends up by dumping his rider.  My friend who has been doing the parelli thing for over a year now, is still leading this horse for over a mile before she gets on his back to trail ride, she only walks on trail, and then she leads the horse over a mile home.  She is afraid of this guy and to be honest with you, so would I be.  In fact, if I were in her shoes with 3 young kids, I would get rid of this horse and get something that I could safely ride anywhere.  I am guessing that a very experienced rider could get through to this horse but then he comes back to Jullie  the same problem will exist.  I did find a halflinger cross that she leased for the summer.  This is the horse she rode on trail by herself, put her kids on, and in general had a blast.  Toby is a good ol' boy.  But when Jullie tried the parelli thing to get him in the trailer, guess who won?  The owner got Toby in the trailer in minutes.  I am sure that all methods of training have their place.  But I always figured, one takes little of this, a little of that, and then uses what works best for you.  At any rate, I was well entertained this summer.  Jeanie