[RC] newbie question re: heart monitors - sherman

I use a Polar HRM, the very basic & simple one. I can’t put on my reading glasses while riding to read any complicated equipment. If I were younger or had to wear glasses all the time, I might feel differently and appreciate more options, then again,  maybe not.  Also, for mileage and speed, I like my Garmin 205. There’s no guessing how far or how fast we’re going. My riding buddies always like to know the mileage of our ride and how long it took to complete it. I’ve also been known to go from trailer to trailer at the end of the ride to check HRs with my monitor. It’s an eye-opener for those newish riders with horses that love to go, look incredibly fit, but aren’t yet.

Kathy

I have a question(s).  At what point in conditioing does one use a heart monitor?  Is there a milage estimate?  Or just coinciding with the horse's physiological response to cooling down?

And what type(s) are the most appropriate for a newbie; ie easiest to use etc.  If that is an applicable question.

Thanks

Jackie

(who is figuring out MORE ways to spend money on horses!!  :)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. Life is about learning to dance in the rain. Author unknown