RE: [RC] [RC] newbie question re: heart monitors - Ranelle Rubin

Jackie,

I personally use my heart monitor most every time I ride..it is almost always on my saddle. It is especially helpful to judge your horse's fitness on a given trail that you ride frequently. For example, I have a really tough hill that is about 4 miles out on my most frequent conditioning trail. It is called the Pig Farm Trail. When I have my HRM on, I can really get a good idea on this trail, as my horse is warmed up, and it is VERY steep..and about 1/2 to 3/4 mile long. When we get to the top, I time how long it takes for him to come down to 50. It usually only takes him two minutes or so. I remember when I first started riding him on that trail, he would stop once or twice on the way up. He would spike up to 180. Now he cruised up it, rarely above 150 and doesn't need to stop..This is a combination of muscle strength and cardio fitness IMO. This hill is one of our "interval training" courses. When we get to the top, we cruise a bit, then get over to an area that is flat and the visibility allows some speed work..again, I watch my HRM, work him up to about 150, hold it for a few minutes, then bring him back to a slower working trot where his HR is about 110.

I have a Polar one and love it. The V-Max one is very nice too. I like the leads on the Polar one better, they seem stronger, but if they DO break, I am screwed. The V-Max ones can be replaced as they are not hard-wired.

Look around and get one with the features YOU want..but one thing I really expect is a watch with a light...! Most have this standard. Also look at how it attaches to your saddle and girth. There are differences to consider depending on your pad and girth configurations.

OK, my horse is done eating...got to go..!

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx