Re: [RC] Toe pain, stirrup length, etc. - Kathy Mayeda

I have the same problem.  Think about it - which leg is pushing the gas pedal?  Which leg is pushing the brake?

Psychologically, I tend to "brake" with my right foot when I am getting emotional and want to hold my horse back a little.  I will extend my toe out in the stirrup as if I'm driving.  This makes me lift my heel.

It takes me conscious effort, chiropractic, deep therapeutic body work and tons of Centered Riding lessons to get me to ride even, and I still have to be "reminded" a lot.  Have someone look at your hip position to see if you are riding evenly on each side and not collapsing to one side.  I tend to collapse to the left which shortens my right foot and my right foot tends to splay out.  Hopefully you won't have to work as hard as I did to start riding even, but you are definitely not alone!

K.