[RC] Toe pain, stirrup length, etc. - Mike Lewis

I rode my first ride since May (an LD ride for Heaven's sake!) on Saturday, and noted considerable pain in my right foot on the joints of the littlest 2-3 toes.  The pain was like I'd expect if I stood with a metal pole underneath that part of my foot for more than a few minutes.

It is possible that I'm weighting one stirrup more than another (I promise that my legs are not the same length)--will check on that when I can get my wife to spot check my riding position--but has anyone else experienced a similar issue and found a resolution?  I'm riding EZ-ride stirrups--ample padding is present--so I'm a bit surprised that I'd have foot/toe pain at all unless there is a shoe problem as well.  The little toe isn't pressing up against the stirrup, as I've experienced once with English stirrups that were too narrow for me.

Changing position frequently alleviated the problem for the rest of the ride, but I still need to find the root cause and correct it.

On another note... has anyone noticed that stirrups that feel the right length at the start of a ride seem too long halfway through the ride?  Am I the only one with this problem?

Working out issues such as these are one reason I am grateful for LD rides--55 miles of this would have been tough to take.

Thanks again,

Mike Lewis