RE: [RC] LD trail trash - David LeBlanc

Mike said:

I can't believe some of the comments I've read tonight about LD rides,
either, and agree with your thoughts, Jean.?

It's a perennial argument - much more so on this list than in actual ride
camp, for the most part. I think that's because there's a higher proportion
of people on this list that have been doing this for a long time, and some
seem to think that the way it was is the way it still is. Some of the
loudest and crabbiest voices are people who haven't done much for a while -
things change. If you're not changing, you're not living.

The LD crowd are some of the nicest folks to meet, and the attitude of some
of these high-and-mighty 50 folks (many of whom probably haven't completed a
100) regarding the presence of LD riders is surprising.? As?a matter of
fact, the behavior of some of the 50+ mile riders I've encountered on the
trail has done more to steer me away from this sport than a bad day on the
horse could ever do.

I honestly don't see a difference in personality and how far someone goes. I
know good and bad who do every distance. Mostly good, which is one reason I
like this sport. I know some really nice people who some days do 25's and
other days do 100's.

The really ironic thing to me is that 50's really aren't anything special.
Trying to claim that a 50 is a substantially more difficult achievement than
a LD is a lot of BS. A multi-day, a 75 or 100 - those are hard. A normal 50
is no big deal, and you don't have to be much smarter than a typical LD
rider to do one. "Real" endurance vs. LD - it's almost all semantics (it's
endurance because that's the definition of endurance, which is the
definition of a circular argument), with very little real world difference
in difficulty - unless you take on a really hard 50, but there's hard LD's,
too. If we really wanted to divide up the sport based on difficulty, we'd do
it on the basis of something a lot harder than just a 50. This is NOT to say
that most people should try to start with 50's - some do, but for most, it's
better to learn on the shorter distances - just that it isn't THAT much
harder.

Personally, I?have ridden LD up until this year because I haven't?had a
horse capable of completing a 50+ mile ride until this year...

Here's where I don't agree with you. You've pretty consistently been turning
in some fast ride times. If you can do a sub 3 hour LD, I'd bet you could
take a nice long rest and do the next 25 miles in another 7-8 hours and be
just fine. Your record also shows you can slow down, and if you can do that,
you can do 50's. Some of the only times I've recommended to people not to
move up is when they're unable to properly control their horse, and that's
not a good thing on a LD, and a worse thing on a 50.

What could well be the case is that _you_ are not in shape to do a 50, which
is quite understandable if you don't have time to exercise enough. I program
computers and write, neither of which exercise more than my brain and my
fingers.

or have been in graduate school, or have been helping raise 3 very young
children (2 mos, 2, and 5) with a wife in college full-time.?

Been there and done that - I didn't have time for much of anything when I
was in school. School AND kids? Ouch.

I think the fewer unnecessary distinctions we draw between the 2 "divisions"
of AERC, the better off we are. The differences between LD and 50's are more
of an artifact of the way the sport evolved than something based on logical
distinctions. People should go ride how far they want as long as they don't
hurt their horse or themselves.