RE: [RC] protecting the horse - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

>When I was riding lots of endurance, I expected my horse's pulse to reach criteria within 10 minutes of arriving for P&R. If my horse's pulse did not come down >within 10 minutes I would be very concerned and take appropriate action (pulling, expressing my concern to the vet, slowing down, etc). Would someone explain >to me why we give riders 30 minutes for there horses to reach criteria? Wouldn't a 15 minute window protect more horses from being overridden??

Most fit, experienced horses will reach criteria within a few minutes.  I’m the same as you, I start getting worried if my horse takes longer than five minutes or so, and I’m practically in tears at 7 minutes <g>.  A lot of the super-fit top horses will be moving along at a pretty fast clip coming into a check, the rider hops off a few hundred yards down the trail and by the time they reach the P&R box, they’re down.

Yes, a fifteen minute window might weed out a few more of the potentially overridden horses, but doesn’t do a very good job of differentiating between the horses that can’t recover metabolically versus the green horses that really do need just a minute or two more to get their panties unwadded.  Also, the logistics of getting everybody timed into a check and consistently judging when fifteen minutes has elapsed would be tough at some crowded rides.  There are also some non-traditional breeds that sometimes show up that are fit enough for the job at hand, but because of heavy muscling or whatever, they might need a few more minutes than a typical fit Arab needs.

By the time 30 minutes rolls around, we usually have had a good chance to notice which riders are still standing around trying to get their horse down.  The horses that can’t recover in 15 minutes very often can’t recover in 30, either---in any case, they’ll get noticed.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM