[RC] protecting the horse - Sbolinge

When I was riding lots of endurance, I expected my horse's pulse to reach criteria within 10 minutes of arriving for P&R. If my horse's pulse did not come down within 10 minutes I would be very concerned and take appropriate action (pulling, expressing my concern to the vet, slowing down, etc). Would someone explain to me why we give riders 30 minutes for there horses to reach criteria? Wouldn't a 15 minute window protect more horses from being overridden??