Re: [RC] [RC] conditioning strategies :) - Jody Rogers-Buttram - FXLivestock

When I see finishing times for a 25 mile ride under 3 hours and a little over 3 hours for a 30 mile ride, this tells me that there is not a time constraint to condition enough for a longer distance.  Basically, what it really comes down to is a difference in philosophy within the sport.  Some riders think of an LD as just an endurance ride that is just a shorter distance.  Others think of LD as a "training/conditioning" ride or a distance to ride because of a variety of reasons ranging from their own limitations to their horse's limitations - temporary or permanent.   I just think it is just an interesting commentary in regards to the direction this sport is taking when you see 50 to 60 horses entered in LD and only 20-30 entered in the 50.  When I look at completion times it is quite obvious to me that many of those LD horses would be capable of completing a 50 mile ride.  From the completion times, they are certainly not using these rides as novice or training rides to move up but using them as competitive events.    I guess my point is that for many it is a choice to stay in the LD division.   No amount of "cheerleading" and "pep talks" are going to inspire these riders to move up.  Excuses for not having enough time are just excuses.   For those that want to move up, they will make time to condition and/or they will choose to ride a 10-12 hour 50 as opposed to choosing to ride a faster 25.     Don't think I am bashing LDs with this post.  I pretty much see the same thing with the 50 mile/100 mile events.  I would say that most riders make the choice to stay at the 50 mile level even thought their horses may be capable to complete a 100.   The only difference between the move from 25/50 and 50/100 is that there are probably fewer 50 mile horses capable of moving up to the 100 mile distance than 25 mile horses who are capable of completing 50 miles.   The same comparison could probably be made about the riders.   The point is it is a choice most of the time not a necessity.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6649

Well said Cindy.  That is the point that I tried to make earlier.  It isn't about riding their legs off....but just getting some time in and letting the ride itself be part of the conditioning.  I am a fair weather rider....I HATE cold weather...main reason I live in Alabama, and then I still complain about cold.  So, if I ride in the winter, it *might* be one weekend or so along.  The rest of the time, the ponies are doing just that....resting.  But once you have them in shape, go to a ride each month or so, they will hold their conditioning.  And I also work full time, have a family, have to get Joni to Cross Country meets, take piano lessons myself, and so does Joni, live on a working cattle farm with a hubby that is responsible for ALL of that and driving a school bus, have aged parents living down the road from us, a broken vertebra and two shot knees.  IT CAN BE DONE.

Jody