Re: [RC] Rule Change Proposal - Beth Walker

Addressing the comments so far (thanks everyone):

1) How to tell a new rider - at present, I think the rider would have to identify themselves as such on the ride entry form. I don't want to impose a lot of extra infrastructure, so I'm not proposing that RMs be required to look up every rider, etc.

2) I would think that coming in overtime would not count. Riders would need a "completion" status to count.

3) Lower HR criteria -- I understand the objection. The two pulls I've had on my horse is simply because he was too excited to come down, so I'm actually taking the chance of shooting myself in the foot here. I'd be happy to hear from some vets. I'm perfectly willing to drop this one if the concern is that it would penalize horses that are new, but are not being overtaxed.

4) Minimum time: what if we dropped it to 3 hours for a 25, etc.? (I personally think that is too fast for what the intention of this change would be, but I would like to discuss it.)

-- Re Jessica: you obviously have an exceptional horse, if you can do 3 hours and "not hurry". My guy has shorter legs... Still - why would having a rule that is for the protection of new riders (and is just for 3 rides) turn you off the sport?

-- Re Truman: The difference is again: this is a temporary restriction, not for everybody. We don't have a rule that says "you must have X number of miles in CTR before you can join us and play". I'm not trying to turn endurance into CTR, but a CTR pace for new riders makes sense to me to protect the horse. I think a 3 hour 25 is fast enough to get a horse into trouble, which is why I proposed a 4 hour limit. We could do something that allows RMs to adjust the limit, based on their course. The rule would state that there *is* a cap for new riders, but that it is the RMs and ride vets responsibility to set that cap. What about that?

5) Just designating new riders: No other rules. My concern with this is that it really doesn't give new riders any help. If they had a minimum time cap, it would send a stronger message that they should go slow their first few rides, and give themselves and their horse time to learn the ropes.

6) Adding #4: Mandatory attendance at ride meetings. I like it. Thanks. I think there would have to be some leeway if a new rider missed the ride meeting due to late arrival, but in that case they would have to have vet / RM approval to start the ride (and a private meeting).